Monday, April 6, 2015

On My Nightstand...

My girls took a very lukewarm bath tonight.  After investing, Bentley discovered we are out of propane gas - again.  He reminded me that at least it's warm outside this time which means our house temps won't drop.  I called to leave a message with the company who delivers our gas and they were going to send out a guy tonight.  When he called me at 9:00 p.m. to say he would drive from Durham to Apex to get the truck, I just decided a bath could wait.  He was so nice about it and honestly I was going to work out in the morning anyway :)!  

All that introduction to say, I had a few minutes to spare (since I didn't shower), so I thought I'd blog.  It's been a while.  For those of you who frequent our site for stored recipes, I hope you like the new design.  It just needed something fresh and hip.  Alas, I went to my friend Ashley - who is crazy talented and visits this blog more than I do probably - for help:).  Several clicks later and we have a fresh look that makes me happy!

I know I have a stack of recipes to share, but they are all organized in my notebook downstairs and I'm upstairs :).  I'll share recipes soon.  Summer break is a mere 7 weeks away!  I am thrilled unlike most of my friends.  We got a taste of slowing down over the past several days and it felt so good.   

So the reason I got on here was to blog about books I've read recently that I recommend.  People ask me how I find time to read.  It's so cliche but "we find time for the things we enjoy."  And mainly it's because I gave up TV.  As in, I don't follow any shows.  We don't even have cable and our antenna won't pick up local stations because we live in the woods :).  Bentley manages with re-runs of shows on Amazon Prime while he works or when he can't sleep.  He only misses it during times like tonight (National Championship Game).  But he listens to the radio which makes me kind of laugh because it's so old school and I love it.  He has a great imagination and can envision all the plays I am sure :). 


Okay, back to books.  I'm in a book club that has evolved over 4 years.  There are 10 of us who have been together for over 2 years now and they challenge me to think and step outside my box of what I would sometimes read.  We read and we do life together.  Messy, unpredictable, hard life.  But in the midst we laugh and eat delicious food that we prepare & soak up the joy that was meant to be lived too.

We like non-fiction.  Our favorites are autobiographies, journeys, and memoirs.  I read books on my own too, but I do love discussing what I read.  It makes the book stick.  

I'm always reading a least 2 books at the same time.  I've read many more than what's listed here, but these are my recent favorites.   

Unbroken - We saw the movie.  Book is better - way better.  Louie will inspire you.  His life is unbelievable in many parts.  Some places are hard to read but the last 100 pages is worth it.  Made me realize why Jesus says it's better to forgive.  It's not because it's the "Christian" thing to do, it's because bitterness & unforgiveness will destroy YOU.  Louie leaves an amazing legacy.   

The Hiding Place - I somehow missed this book in my teens.  Corrie's faith and determination will cause you to question your own.  The ending will make you pause and say "Could I really do that?"  

The Testament - After reading it my mom told me it was one of her top 5 favorite books.  It's powerful. Addictions, wealth, and contentment all wrapped up in a story that will have you staying up late into the night to see what's next.

Left to Tell - Hard to read.  I never even knew this happened to Rwanda until I read this book.  Immaculee has endured more in her life than imaginable.  And her faith holds.  This book gave me such perspective.  It's not a book you will forget.  

Wherever the River Runs - I read this book 3 years too late.  I so needed this book and Kelly's insight 3 years ago when I was searching like a crazy woman for meaning and significance and focus.  Kelly challenges her reader by being open and real about her own struggles.  I walked away changed for the better.

The Sacred Search - I read this book with a young college friend.  When Bentley & I were dating we searched for books like this but they didn't exist.  So thankful for authors who are bold in their writing.  Even if you don't agree with everything in this book, Gary Thomas gives the reader so many scenarios to think about when dating & getting married.  He debunks so many myths/lies/insecurities too.  I've recommended it to several people and hope to lead a small group with the college/single gals at our church soon.

Atlas Girl - A journey that takes Emily around the world only to figure out how much she truly loves home.  Explores the mother / daughter & father / daughter relationship.

I got on a Kate DiCamillo kick with my girls:
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - a beautiful story of humbling oneself and allowing oneself to love and be loved.
The Tiger Rising  - Rob and Sistine are unique characters who form an unlikely friendship surrounding a real tiger locked in the woods.  Grief and accepting things as they are and not as we want them to be will leave you pondering your own life as well.
Because of Winn Dixie - A dog who smiles, unlikely friends both young and old, and understanding we must live in the present with what we have now.  It's a tear jerker.
The Magicians Elephant - a fun story with impossible events that lead to forgiveness and believing what we know in our hearts to be true.
I'm currently reading The Boys in the Boat, To Kill a Mockingbird (again because Harper Lee has a new book out this summer), and I'm in a Bible study on the book of Daniel that is leaving my jaw wide open each week - more on that later!  I'm still trying to finish The Poisonwood Bible.  Sigh.

If you made it to the bottom of this post & you've read something you think I'd enjoy, please leave a comment and let me know.

cheers (with my coffee mug) to good books-
leanne



1 comment:

  1. Hey Leanne,
    I love the new site design. Ashley is amazing. Thank you for the great book reviews. I look forward to reading some with my girls this summer. I just read The Hiding Place to Faith and Nia, they were enthralled. I look forward to the summer with my girls and lots of great reading.

    ReplyDelete