Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Few Favorites...

We've been listening to the soundtrack "Sound of Music" in my car.  In lieu of the song "These are a few of my Favorite Things," here's a list of some things I'm currently enjoying this Fall!  (A recipe is at the end and I have 2 more coming this week :)!)



Decoration:  My dear friend Katie gave me this set of bowls last weekend.  It's my favorite fall decoration this season.  I've been filling them with almonds, trail mix, and chocolates.  

Restaurant:  Bentley and I try to meet for a lunch date a few times a month.  We usually go to Whole Foods and eat on the salad / hot bar, but Whole Foods in Cary is under construction and seating is limited, so we've branched out!  Recently we went to Iris, the restaurant located inside the NC Art Museum.  (I kept thinking how much my friend Claire would love this place.)  The atmosphere was unique and food delicious.  A great place to try with friends or your significant other if you are in the area.  This was a farro dish with broccolini I tried & it did not disappoint.

Books:
Called Again:  A Story of Life & Triumph, Jennifer Pharr Davis
I read her first book about a year ago (Becoming Odyssa) for book club and it brought about some excellent discussions!  She's now written a second book which describes her record breaking journey on the AT (Appalachian Trail).  Jennifer is my roommate from college, Jackie's, sister-in -law (did you follow that?).   Her story will challenge you in your own journey and cause you to reflect upon God's vast creation.  I have thought about her endurance many times as I've trained for my own next race.

Study:
5 Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter, Vicki Courtney
This study is really opening my eyes and heart to all my girls are facing and will face in this world in which we live!  The idea behind the study is that you will continuously have these five conversations throughout your daughter's life.  Both the study and the women in my group are causing me to really evaluate my words, actions, and thoughts regarding raising women who will honor & love God in all they do.  The study has already prompted some really great conversations with our girls!  
(She's also written a version for boys too.)

Verse:
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is, His good, pleasing, and perfect will."  
- Romans 12:2.
Renewing your mind is HARD work!  It takes a conscience effort to replace God's truths with the lies and schemes of this world.  I decided while training for my next race, I would listen to praise and worship music.  NOT because I am being legalistic or think all other music is bad, but because I want God's truth to seep into every pore of my being so I can reflect His grace and love.  I've been running a lot, so hopefully some of these things are sinking in!

New Vacation Spot:
I visited Smith Mountain Lake for the first time in September with some long time friends of my mom's from college better known as The Appalachian Crew :)  So many wonderful memories with these 5 families and the annual trip we took each year growing up.  I enjoyed having some quality conversations with my little brother driving in the middle of no-where on back woods country roads because it was the shortest route - actually the only route - on our way there.  What awaited us was laughter 'til you cried, lots of catching up, corn hole, reminiscing, swimming in the lake, and wondering where the time went.  This was our view Saturday morning...

Treat:
My sweet Aunt Marilyn gave me this recipe over the summer and I've made it many times! 

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bites

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, then roll the mix into small bite size balls.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  Enjoy!  (Note: I keep mine in the refrigerator because I like them cold.)

1 cup oats (old fashioned dried)
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla

happy fall y'all!
leanne




1 comment:

  1. nice! i'm making a date with hubby at iris as soon as he gets back in town! and can't wait to read odyssa's next book (that's still her trail name, right?)

    ReplyDelete