Saturday, October 22, 2016

A Fall Favorite - Quinoa Chili

It's been a while - so HELLO again! 

I hope this blog finds you well and enjoying FALL wherever you might be.  I think of this blog often and go to it for recipes that are tried and true.  At all times I have words in me that I'd love to share (and recipes too), but in this season my arms are literally full.  The newest Olive, Evelyn Lee, will turn a year old in 2 months.  Her favorite foods are strawberries and avocados.  She loves books, crawling up the stairs, and swinging outside!  I'm such a different mom 10 years later.  I think for the better as my perspective on these first few years of life has changed.  I know now why people say, "it goes by so fast."  And because of that I am trying to really cherish it all.

We are building a house in this season and will move in this spring/summer.  It's on land and our plan is to have honey bees, chickens, and some kittens.  I want a chicken coop like my friend Jen's.  Her chicken's have the nicest pet house I've ever seen.  Google chicken coops and you'll be amazed at what you see.  It might sound silly but I am also praying for cows.  Even as we were walking the land today I could see Bentley being more and more open to my cow idea.  I'd like belted galloways (the oreo cookie cows) but I'd really take any.  We had cows growing up and there is just something about a cow in a pasture that makes me want to slow down.  And they remind me of my grandfather Allison who I miss and think of so often.  One of our new neighbors has a pig which I am sure my girls will now add to their list.  Bentley and the girls are praying I change my mind about goats, but right now I am still not convinced.  

I've been reading a lot too.  A LOT.  I'll blog soon about some of the good ones.  This season is mostly non-fiction.  I feel sometimes like I'm back in college trying to juggle several reads at the same time.  But it makes me happy to read and it's even better when I get to sit with others and discuss.  God has so graciously allowed me to disciple some incredible young women in this season.  Discussing the Bible and good books with them keep me learning and growing too.  

Now on to the recipe (the real reason you clicked on this link).  My friend Ashley brought me a mason jar of this chili recently and it's so yummy!  She's made it before and I've made it too, but realized I didn't have it on the blog.  Make this chili this week and double the recipe so you can give some to someone who could use a home cooked meal by a friend.  Serve with some cornbread muffins and enjoy!  

xo - 
leanne


Healthy Quinoa Chili (5 stars)
*this is a tex-mex dish which can be served with avocados and stuff like that.

2 cups vegetable stock 
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1 tbsp veg broth (or olive oil if you are not being hard-core)
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 carrot, peeled, diced
1 red bell pepper (capsicum), seeded, diced
2 cans (400g) diced tomatoes with juices
2 cans (420g) kidney beans, NOT drained
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp ground cumin
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup corn kernels (drained if using canned)

Bring vegetable stock to boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa, stir, cover, and simmer on lowest setting until ready, about 15 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when little curls stick-out from the grains. Set aside. In a large saucepan or stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic, and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add celery and carrot, and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add bell pepper, tomatoes, kidney beans, chili powder, oregano and cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir-in quinoa and corn. Serve topped with diced avocado, tofu sour cream, cilantro (fresh coriander), and/or shredded cucumber, and with a side of corn chips or cornbread/corn muffins. To freeze chili, let chili cool completely and freeze in freezer-safe containers. To cook from frozen state, pop chili into an oven-safe casserole dish and COVER with a lid or aluminum foil before baking for 50 minutes at 375F/190C.

No comments:

Post a Comment