Monday, September 24, 2012

Link Happy Monday

I feel like I have been getting lots of snippets of information lately.  So, here they are for you, in no particular order: 

I've been playing around with my new waffle-maker and have been thoroughly excited about this recipe for Brownie Waffles.  My kids especially love them.  And I love knowing what great ingredients are in the food they're eating.  Seriously, have you seen the long (many un-pronounceable) list of ingredients on frozen waffles?  Even the better-for-you options like Nature's Path, Kashi, are guilty of long ingredient lists. To clean this recipe up even more, you can substitute the 2 eggs with 2 "flax eggs" (whisk 2 T. ground flax and 6 T. cold water in small bowl, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes or until thickened a bit).  And substitute 2 T. unsweetened applesauce in place of the oil.  I use unsweetened almond milk instead of soy milk, but that's just a personal preference.

Our favorite recipe for the waffle-maker, though, is these Waffles.  Delish!  I double the recipe for my family of five, and freeze the leftovers for easy toaster-oven reheating on school mornings.  My oldest has been known to love them so much, she'll have one as an after school snack.   

While I'm confessing what's new around here, I have a new snack addiction.  Cinnamon Apple Smacks.  Who knew cinnamon + apple slices + refrigeration = pure joy!  The key is to chill the slices after sprinkling with cinnamon.  It is surprisingly different from the sprinkle and serve method, which honestly doesn't do much for me.  I haven't been able to tell if the cinnamon prevents the browning process, or simply covers it up, but you can keep these stored in the fridge for a day or two.  These are great for sending in lunchboxes or for quick, convenient snacking.
Haven't actually tried it yet, but this really simple recipe for Sweet Potato Applesauce sounds amazing!

There's been lots of talk about GMO's (Genetically Modified Organisms) lately.  Can I just say, our food industry is so messed up!  Sometimes LeAnne and I joke that we wish we didn't know so much about food.  Every once in a while, I want to crawl back into that hole of ignorance.  Ignorance is bliss when it comes to meal planning, grocery shopping, and picky children.  But ignorance is not bliss for our bodies or our health.  There is a fantastic film available for free viewing for a limited time, about GMO's, our food supply and how it affects our health.  If can find 90 minutes in your week, Genetic Roulette is a great watch.

Also, check out these links for great info about GMO's:

What's the big deal about GMO's?  Part 1

What's the big deal about GMO's? Part 2

GMO's Part 3: What can we do?

Lastly, if you've never challenged yourself (or your family) to eat a completely unprocessed diet, you really should!  I did a 30 day challenge last October and my life will never be the same.  My guess is, it would change your life, too!  Eating Rules will be kicking off October Unprocessed 2012 soon.  I urge you to consider diving in for all 30 days.  If that feels too overwhelming, commit to 2 weeks.  Grab a friend or your family to participate with you!  Your body will thank you!

Blessings & greens to you this beautiful Monday-
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment