Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Sweet Potato Chili

Since our family made big changes to our diet over a year ago, I've been wanting to find a good recipe for sweet potato chili.  I've tried at least two different recipes and neither was very good.  I recently had some sweet potato chili at LeAnne's house, though, that was perfect!  She got this recipe from a friend, passed it on to me, and I tinkered just a bit with it to suit my family's preferences.  It's a keeper and will be on regular rotation at our house.  The pineapple and cinnamon, I think, really make the dish.


1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper
15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 c. water
1.5 lbs. sweet potato, peeled & cubed (1 large or 2 medium usually)
1 c. pineapple chunks (drained if canned, reserve liquid)
2 15oz. cans kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 tsp. chili powder (more if you like)
1 tsp. ground cumin (more if you like)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Saute onion and pepper in a splash of water or veggie broth for 5 minutes, or until tender.  Add the remaining ingredients, including 1/4 cup of reserved pineapple juice.  I like to chop the pineapple chunks, but that is a personal preference.  You could also just buy pineapple tidbits instead of chunks.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potato is cooked, about 45 minutes.  If you prefer your chili thinner, you can add up to 1/2 cup of water, veggie broth, or additional pineapple juice to thin it out.  Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. where have you guys been? love the chili recipe by the way.

    ReplyDelete