Monday, February 25, 2013

13.1 Training: 10 Miles

So, I haven't checked in lately with an update on my little running drama.  I've been a foam-rolling, stretching, icing maniac for the last few weeks.  Thankfully, I've been able to maintain 3-4 mile runs and I successfully did a longer 6.5 mile run last weekend.  I was thrilled I had no pain anywhere, other than a mildly achy knee, and felt a little more optimistic after that run.

But today, is my crowning achievement so far.  10 miles!  Can I just say holy crap!  That was my reaction when I finished my run and saw those double digits on my phone!  People, don't ever let anyone make you think you can't do something!  (Well, besides doctors & listening to your body, of course)  Because you are capable of beyond what you could ever imagine!
Because I am a documenting dork, here I am all suited up and ready to run
My little old legs were flying today!  I'll win no medals for sure, but I maintained a 9:15/9:30 pace for the first 6 miles!  I've never been able to sustain that beyond a 5k distance.  I really can only attribute it to the GORGEOUS, sunshiney day!   Such a sweet gift after all this running we've been doing in rainy, freezing temperatures.  The first 6 miles were great.  One of my most "easy" runs ever.  I almost managed to do the whole shabang with an average pace less than 10:00!  Seriously satisfied.


So let me tell you a little about 10 miles.  I originally intended to try for 9.  I went out looking at it as three 5k's.  3 miles, 3 miles, 3 miles.  Doesn't that sound a lot nicer than 9!  Like I said, the first 6 were great.  I was really in a groove.  It was almost like auto-pilot. 

Around mile 7 I lost a little of my mojo.  This is where I started talking to myself, as I am known to do.  I told myself I hadn't just run 6 miles.  That I was JUST starting and I was only running a 5k.  I was willpowering my little legs to feel energized and strong.  Hmmm, helped a little.  

Mile 8 I sort of hit the wall.  But just plowed through.  This was where I decided I was going all in for 10.  What's 1 more mile, right?!  I started feeling like I was getting blisters in two places on my foot.  Battle scars, my friends. 

Battle scars.  Now to figure out how to prevent! 
And yes, I'm getting a pedicure the week after this race!
Mile 9, I thought my legs might fall off.  They didn't, thank goodness.  It is a good thing Pandora kicked it up a notch and gave me some great music.  Will.i.am and Britney lit the fire back under my feet.  I cranked up the volume and ran. 

Mile 10.  The homestretch.  I heard my running app talking to me at 9 miles, telling me my average pace was 10:07.  I really, really wanted to see if I could bring that down under 10:00.  And, I just wanted to be DONE running, at this point!  So, I just took off and ran as fast as my 9 mile weary legs could carry me.

I'm back in the saddle!  13.1 - I'm coming for you!

3 weeks & counting-
dawn        

1 comment:

  1. make sure to either use body glide or vaseline on your feet, between your legs and under your arms. :)

    ReplyDelete