Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dawn's Fall Favorites

Favorite song stuck on replay:  This Is Amazing Grace, by Phil Wickham.  We've been singing this a lot recently at church and I love, love, love it.  We are in a series called #thisisworship.  Yes, that's a "hashtag".  I confess, I'm old and have not much interest in any additional social media/technology besides Facebook (which I often need a hiatus from as it is!).  I just learned about the "hashtag" a few months ago.  Our church placed the # (=hashtag) in front of the sermon series title because they wanted to encourage a social media campaign about worship, what worship is, where we can worship (anywhere!), etc.  Take a listen if you like...




Second favorite song stuck on replay:  God's Great Dance Floor.  Ahhh, Chris Tomlin, such a gift for songwriting and leading others in worship.  He was at Koka Booth Ampitheater here in Cary, a few weeks ago; LeAnne and I and a few other girlfriends of ours went to see him in concert.  It was arguably one of the best Christian concerts I've ever been to.  I love how the words to his songs are on the screens and everyone sings along!  It was truly a night of worship!


Chris Tomlin opened the night with God's Great Dance Floor.  Louie Giglio spoke towards the end of the concert about the parable of the prodigal son.  Did you know that prodigal does NOT mean lost?!  The definition is actually 'one who spends resources freely and recklessly; extravagant'.  Louie argued that the name of the parable should be Prodigal God, not Prodigal Son, because our God is extravagant in searching for and rejoicing over each lost soul that discovers their need for Him!  What an amazing picture Louie painted that night.




You'll never stop loving us
No matter how far we run
You'll never give up on us
All of heaven shouts; let the future begin

I feel alive, I come alive
I am alive on God's great dance floor

Favorite book I'm reading:   The Air I Breathe, by Louie Giglio

Favorite sweet fall treat:  McCutcheon's Apple Butter.


My dad grew up in Frederick, MD, where  McCutcheon's  is located.  I remember visiting their store every fall when we were up visiting my grandma, tasting yummy samples, and stocking up on fresh apple cider, apple butter and various preserves to bring back home to Virginia with us.  Their stuff isn't cheap, but it is "homemade", contains real food ingredients, and most importantly is delicious.  I was elated when I saw their products in my local Whole Foods (Cary, NC) several years ago!  I think I bought out their apple butter when I first discovered it there, because I was afraid it would disappear.  Well, good news is, it's still there!

Favorite thing to munch on:  Somersaults, these fun sunflower seed snacks.  My favorites are the Pacific Sea Salt and the Cinnamon Crunch.  I buy these at SuperTarget.

Favorite new "fast food" find:  Qrunch Quinoa Burgers.  Favorite flavor:  Green Chilie with Pinto Beans. You can find these at SuperTarget, $4.99 for 4 burgers.

Favorite website find:  (in)courage.  Lots of great stuff here for women and moms.  I am subscribed to their blog so I receive emails for new blog posts.

Scripture I'm currently meditating on:  Serve one another humbly in love.  Galatians 5:13  
I have this one on an index card over my kitchen sink.  Where I see it all.the.time.  Because, you know us moms of young children spend hours in the kitchen.  It is a place I feel bitterness creep in a lot, about how hard I work with little appreciation.  I placed it here to remind me to serve my family with love.


The Excellent Wife study I'm doing with my neighbors is challenging me.  I have been especially convicted this week of how I love.  Sometimes I am so selfish.  Replace the word 'love' with your name, every time it appears in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8:

Dawn (Love) is patient, Dawn is kind.  Dawn does not envy, she does not boast, she is not proud.  Dawn is not rude, Dawn is not self-seeking, Dawn is not easily angered, she keeps no record of wrongs.  Dawn does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  She always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Dawn's love never fails.

I don't know about you, but I am often the opposite of many of those descriptions of love, especially when I am squeezed (stressed, tired...) and usually with those I should love the best (my family).  How well are you loving today?   I have this one on an index card on my bathroom mirror to remind me of what selfless love looks like.

Make today matter-
dawn

1 comment: