Sunday, August 24, 2014

Too Busy To Listen

We have been in the midst of this great sermon series at church, entitled Too Busy To Listen.  I also just finished reading Lysa TerKeurst’s new book, The Best Yes.  The two have spoken to me so deeply, especially with this being the start of a new school year for my kids, and my return to my second year at my part-time job at preschool.  While I love both of these things (my children’s school and my job/ministry), I lovingly refer to the school year as the “rat race”.  With fast paced early mornings getting three kids out the door, carpooling to school 15-20 minutes from home pending traffic, the homework/dinner/shower/bedtime hours, and adding 14 very cute 4 year old preschoolers three mornings a week to that mix, it does not fail to keep me busy and my schedule full.  And we refuse to pack our evenings with extracurriculars like many do! 


The line that has stuck with me the most from our series at church is this:  “Busyness is the enemy of intimacy.”  Intimacy referring to our relationships with God, our spouse, our children, our friends… How convictingly true.  We all know how to talk to God.   But do we know how to listen to God?  To hear Him when he speaks?  Communication is a two way street.  It requires both talking and listening.  Lysa says it so eloquently in her book, “Conversational threads are what make up the fabric of relationships.”  You can’t listen to God in the busyness of life.  God wants to spend one on one time with each of us, and yet I’d venture to guess the busier life gets, the lower on the totem pole that gets, until often it is completely eliminated from our daily lives.  It happens to me, too.  “If we are to be Best Yes girls, we have to long for unbroken companionship with God.” –LT

The single best investment you can make in each day is your alone time with God.  Ideally first thing in the morning.  Scripture repeats itself over and over about spending our early waking moments with the Father.  Quiet, alone moments, in His Word, listening to what He has to say.  Refusing to let the busyness of the world crowd out the most important thing.  There is nothing like giving the first moments of the day to God.  I have found that I am constantly rewarded by saying NO to the rat race and saying YES to Jesus first in the morning.  Before I need to wake the kids.  Before the rat race begins.  Before I so much as climb into the hamster wheel and start packing lunches and fixing breakfast for the umpteenth time.  That time with Him will influence how you prioritize the rest of your day, the things you will say Yes and No to.  It puts me in a “Jesus first” frame of mind, which has the power to change the atmosphere and dynamic of my entire day.  If you give Him that time, He will be sure to show up.  The solution to busyness is reprioritizing around intimacy with the Father.   “Seek FIRST His kingdom and his righteousness.” Matthew 8:33a  Ultimately, if you are too busy to spend time with God, you are too busy.  Setting the clock 15-30 minutes earlier is SO worth it.  Sit down with your Bible in front of you.  Ask God to speak to you.  He will. 

I loved what our HCC Morrisville Campus Pastor said today as he wrapped up our service.  “You do what ONLY you can do.”  That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense at first.  But he explained.  I am the ONLY person who can have a personal relationship with God for me.  No one else in the world can do that for me.   And I am the ONLY person in this world who can be a wife to my husband and a mom to my children.  Those are things that only I can do.  I must do those well, because those are the things that matter.  Anyone can be a preschool teacher, anyone can be PTF Secretary (well, according to LeAnne, our PTF President, I’m the bomb, so maybe not, haha), anyone can lead that Bible Study or serve in Common Grounds at church.  That’s not to say all those other things are bad.  They are not.  They are all good things.  But they are not the things ONLY I can do.  Concentrate the majority of your energy and time into the things ONLY you can do, and all that other stuff will take care of itself.  Prioritizing time with God will bring healthy limits/boundaries to your busyness.  Much of what we do anyway is measureable in the short run, but is neither measureable or memorable in the long run.  Truth, right? 

“Whenever you say yes to something, there is less of you for something else.  Make sure your yes is worth the less.”  -LT

“What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?”  Mark 8:36

Blessings-
dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment