Friday, June 8, 2012

Fitness Friday

I get a "nudging" (as my friend Jenni calls it) to write sometimes.  I've had a nudging, but I haven't had the time.  And now that my kids finished school two weeks ago for the summer (cue angels singing!), I HAVE THE TIME!  If I could send them to school half the time, and homeschool the other half, I'd totally do that in a minute.  Because, man, the school rat-race is tough!  If you have kids in school (real school, not preschool), you know what I'm talking about.  The month of May is IN-SANE.  Definitely worse than December, which ranks right up there.  And every year seems to get a little more insane.  How is that?!  I always thought that when they started school things would slow down.  Ask any mom with big kids and they'll tell you I was dead wrong!  But, I digress...The point is, I have TIME.  Time to actually enjoy my kids (instead of my kids' to-do lists!), time to try new recipes, time to actually read a book, or blog.  It's been at least 9 months since I had TIME.  Such a precious commodity.


Several weeks ago, I had an outpatient procedure done.  After I'd been given the run down of what to expect post-procedure, the doctor asked me if I had any questions.  I asked the first thing that came to mind, 'Can I exercise?'.  Both the doctor and two nurses paused, looked back and forth amongst themselves with confusion, and said, "Why do so many people always ask that?"  (Tires come to a screeching halt)  Hello, people!  I am sitting in a medical setting, with not just one, but THREE medical professionals, and they are confused why I am asking about exercise!  Does anyone see a problem with that besides me?  The doctor proceded to ask me what kind of exercise, to which I didn't even know how to answer because our P.O.W.E.R. trainers have us doing all kinds of crazy things.  He finally answered my question, but followed it up with, "I think your heart will be just fine for two days without exercise.  You don't need to lose weight anyway!"  Wow, there was so much mis-information in that short conversation, it leaves me baffled.

I know this kind of thing happens all the time.  Most medical professionals are trained to treat the symptoms, NOT the problem.  Most would treat the symptoms of cardiovascular disease by medication, when the problem could be resolved through diet and exercise.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely think there is a time and place for the miracle of western medicine.  But, so many things, more than we can even understand, can be prevented by simply caring for our body through diet and exercise.

I've had time to reflect on that short conversation.  One of my first thoughts is how ironic it is that the first question I had was whether I could exercise.  And, by exercise, I don't mean get on the treadmill for 30 minutes.  I mean EXERCISE.  Push your body to exhaustion.  Challenge it.  See, if someone had told me when I was in school, or even 10 years ago, that there would come a day that fitness would be that important to me, I'd say they were full of crap.  I hated it.  I hated P.E.  I hated getting sweaty.  I especially hated the dreaded 1 mile run - that I always finished dead last, of course.  I hated P.E. teachers, I hated sports, I hated people who were athletic.  In fact, I disliked it so much, that on our last day of P.E. in high school, a friend and I made a "Hallelujah, we're done with P.E. forever!" cake.

And then, the time came several years ago, where I was unhappy with my post-children body.  So, where did I head?  The gym.  It began as a means to an end, which it does for many of us.  After several months, it became a habit, though I still wouldn't say I loved it.  I started running.  I realized I actually could run, contrary to what I believed about myself in high school.  And then, a funny thing happened.  Running became...fun.  (Gasp)  I ran 1 mile.  I ran it significantly faster than I ever did in school.  If I can run 1 mile, I can run two.  And then, some time later, I ran two.  And I didn't die.  I noticed this funny little 'itch' that had started - the wanting more 'itch'.  At first I didn't even recognize it, because the only time I had ever experienced that itch was in regards to academics or art.  I knew then, that I could run a 5k (3.1 miles).  And, I did.  And it was FUN.  Eventually, I worked my way up to running 6 miles at a time.  Then, I got hooked on a barbell class at the gym, and the satisfaction of seeing myself get stronger.  Last summer, I found myself connected with P.O.W.E.R., and my life will never be the same.  I am surrounded by women who believe nothing is impossible, women who believe in each other, and who workout to be strong.  Now, I am slinging sandbells and kettlebells, slamming heavy ropes, working out happily at 6am, and dreaming of mud-runs and half marathons.  Who is this person?  I don't know, but I do know I love her.  And I know if it can be me, it can be YOU, too!

I LOVE to exercise.  To know I am strong.  To see muscles that I didn't know existed.  I LOVE a killer 6am workout with some of my favorite people.  I love knowing I am taking care of the only body God gave me.  I love that it is a habit and it is for life.  I love how I feel when I workout.  I feel yucky when I don't.  I love that my kids are watching.  I love that they will grow up with positive feelings about fitness and will believe it is part of a normal life.

Because it is supposed to be part of a normal life!  Our bodies weren't made to rust and grow cobwebs.  Our bodies are magnificent miracles!  Our bodies were made to move.  Our heart was made to race.  We were made to be strong.  Bodies in motion, stay in motion.  Exercise isn't for losing weight (as I've since discovered that is largely diet related anyway!).  Exercise is for health and wellness, both mental and physical.  So, get up off that sofa, turn the TV off, prioritize time for yourself, and move that body.  It only takes 21 days to form new habits...

Here's to moving that amazing body God gave you-
dawn
                

3 comments:

  1. Very inspirational. And well written. It's funny to think back and remember the Dawn that existed before in comparison to the "new" Dawn. I never would have thought you'd be here either. But I'm glad you are. You're an inspiration that it's not impossible to see a "new dawn" in your own horizon, even if it's a slower process for some of us. Thanks, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment! Was hoping this would be an encouragement to someone... :)

      Delete
  2. Aww- I love this post! Nice work and can't wait for more this summer!! Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete