Sunday, June 3, 2012

My Kind of Celebrity...

One of my favorite stores EVER is Southern Season in Chapel Hill, NC.  From the fresh flowers, gourmet chocolates, wine selection, and stationary, it's a southern girls' dream store.  As if that wasn't enough to win you over, Southern Season has a Cooking School that hosts local chefs, as well as internationally known chefs who teach culinary lessons to folks like you and me.  As part of the audience you get to see cooking techniques up close, ask the experts questions, and the best part is you get to eat what they prepare!  I've taken a few classes before, but my favorite by far was the class taught by Robin Asbell Bentley and I recently attended!

(I love learning and being in a classroom - especially talking about plant foods!) 



Some wonderful friends gave me a gift card to Southern Season, and when I looked at the class list, "Vegetarian Main Courses That Satisfy" caught my eye!  (They told me they knew I would pick this class!)  Bentley was excited to join me for this culinary experience taught by Robin Asbell.  From the moment she began, I knew I was going to love her!  She is simply brilliant when it comes to food!  From grains to protein to unami, I was on the edge of my seat smiling and nodding my head the entire evening!  (Bentley is used to this behavior when it comes to me and good food!)

Her menu for the evening featured flavors from around the world and included:
1.  Moroccan Chickpea B'Stilla (featured below)
2.  Spicy Tofu Yam Temaki Zushi Hand Rolls
3.  Veggie Mac & Cheese with Hidden Veggies
4.  Creamy Triple-Mushroom Fettucine with Walnuts
5.  Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cupcakes (featured below)



(Note:  4 out of the 5 dishes she made vegan :))

Her knowledge, experience, and passion for food and eating a plant based diet are extensive.  She not only talked in great detail about the food she was preparing for the evening, she also answered questions related to food topics and the food industry.  Even if you aren't vegetarian/vegan (the majority of the class that evening was not), Robin graciously encouraged others to keep adding more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains to their diet.  We purchased her book Big Vegan and dedicated it to our two girls (Bentley's idea).  I was giddy with excitement when I got to meet her and have my picture taken with her afterwards!  This is truly my kind of celebrity!


Click here to check out her website!  It lists her books as well!

Click here to check our her blog!

-leanne

P.S.  On my evaluation sheet I HIGHLY suggested more vegetarian, vegan, plant based teachers!(including our favorite Raw Food by Matthew & Jane)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great post on Robin Asbell's class -we posted it on our Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete