Friday, January 11, 2013

Thoughts on 13.1

This morning, I experienced a first - running in the rain.  The combination of North Carolina hills , 40 degrees, and a persistent heavy drizzle, could've made for a potential disaster.  I was actually nervous about this 5.5 mile long run. Likely because of last weekend's long run.  But more on that later.  It was a "good" run.  Good as in, I mostly enjoyed it, I finished strong, could've kept running, and felt that runner's high of accomplishment.  And, bonus points, no weird tummy troubles or flu-like symptoms post-run!

Why am I running in the rain, for goodness sakes?  Because I'm committed - to health and fitness.  But, mostly because I am training for my first half-marathon.  This hilly training around here, should be good training for a nice FLAT 13.1 mile race.  LeAnne and I, and a few other girls we know, are signed up for the Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon in March.  What better place to run my innaugural 13.1 than one of my favorite places in NC.  Oh, and did I mention it's FLAT.  (smile)

A half-marathon has been on my bucket list for a few years, ever since I began my journey towards health and fitness, and got bit by the running bug.  The timing is perfect, I've learned and have grown so much in my thought process, and I don't think I could've ever attempted this without that growth.  Let's face it, so much of fitness and endurance is mental.  It's that voice in your head.  It's either telling you you're tired, you're not fast enough, you want to quit or it's telling you "you're fine", you are strong, and just keep running.  It will make or break your physical endurance. For the first 35 years of my life, I lived with that first voice in my head.  The voice of criticism and defeat.  Then it dawned on me, through a series of events and people placed in my life, that I am in control of the voice in my head!  Now I live 80% of my life with that second voice in my head.  The one that says, You're FINE.  You are strong.  You can do this.  Just keep running. 

I'm not perfect.  Retraining your brain to talk to you a certain way takes a lot of effort and awareness.  In fact, as a daily, sometimes hourly reminder, I have one of my favorite Bible verses on an index card, taped right next to the steering wheel where I have to look at it, at least multiple times a day:

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.    Philippians 4:8 NIV

It's easy to slip back into doom & gloom (or being realistic, as I personally like to call it).  I find it is greatly affected by the hormone cycle (lucky females we are), and largely is a reflection of how much quiet time with God I am getting and being in the Word on a regular basis.  After all, it is God who really wants us to be "transformed by the renewing of your mind" (Romans 12:2)

Take, for example, my long run last weekend.  I ran 5 miles.  It was the first time I've run that long and far, without any walking.  It was tough, especially with these Carolina hills.  There was a big difference between 4 and 5 for me.  I spent the rest of the day freezing despite coats and blankets, and with an unhappy stomach.  I'm learning that's fairly common with long runs and figuring out your way around it can be a bit of trial & error.  But, I was frustrated and a little bit of "old Dawn" took over.  The bad news is, the negative chatter continued for a few days.  It even hung around through two shorter runs this week.  The good news is, I got sick, which may have been part of the explanation for a couple of tough runs.  The other good news is, the "old Dawn" would've stayed in the pit.  She would've quit and said, "I can't do it."  I'd be long done.  Even in my funk, I was still telling myself positive things.  Inside I was rolling my eyes at this happy talk, but I kept on happy talking.  Imperfect progress, my friends. 

In one of my favorite books, Unglued, by Lysa TerKeurst, she says, "Imperfect changes are slow steps of progress wrapped in grace...imperfect progress."

Progress.  Just make progress.  It's okay to have setbacks and the need for do-overs.  It's okay to draw a line in the sand and start over again--and again.  Just make sure you're moving the line forward.  Move forward.  Take baby steps, but at least take steps that keep you from being stuck.  Then change will come.  And it will be good.

I'm feeling much better from a seemingly short-lived sore throat and drip I had mid-week .  I tweaked a few things this morning, as far as what I ate before running (more carbs, less fiber), how long I waited after eating to give it time to digest (1-1.5 hrs), and I used electrolyte tablets in my water post-run (in lieu of all the added sugar in sports drinks).  My brain was talking positively.  My 5.5 mile run this morning was great.  Exhilarating.  I hope there are more like it. 

Look forward to training updates and insight gained along the journey...

9 weeks & counting-
Dawn
    


No comments:

Post a Comment