Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Red Beans over Quinoa with Kale

I've been taking a break from trying new recipes for the last week or two.  I hit a little rough patch where it seemed every new recipe I tried was yuck.  I got frustrated with my two youngest, who won't try much of anything they don't know (which is basically everything except fruit!).  Life in general hit a crazy spell around the same time.  So, I've been cooking favorites, simple veggie meals, freezer meals, or what I like to call 'not perfect, but real life healthier options' (like whole wheat pizza crust, pizza sauce with no sugar or funky ingredients, and lots of veggie toppings).  The break was good.  And much needed.  As I've really been going full steam ahead on the cooking/new recipe front for about 6 months.  As much as I love cooking and trying new things, my brain and body needed a rest.  I finally just started feeling the itch to get cooking and experimenting again.

As we were going through recipes together over the weekend, for a fun little project we're going to be working on, LeAnne mentioned this was a good one.  I'd noticed it in my Engine 2 Diet book before and I knew it had the potential to be really great or really blah.  I decided that for my return to the kitchen, what better way to start than with a recipe that came recommended.  So, I gave it a try, adjusted a few things to my liking, and yay, success!  I did not expect any of the kids to eat it, even with the components separate, but figured if any of them would give it a chance, it would be my oldest.  She killed it!  I thought for sure I would have leftovers for the next day, but she wiped me clean out.  She is my rockstar foodie, for sure.  And the encouragement I need when I'm frustrated with the tiny ones.  What a strong, well fueled body she went to bed with tonight!


Red Beans over Quinoa with Kale
serves 2

1 c. veggie broth
1 c. water
1 c. quinoa
1/4 c. Trader Joe's Fire Roasted onions & peppers (frozen section), defrosted & chopped (or you can use fresh green pepper and onion)
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 t. dried thyme
1/2 T. cider vinegar
1 can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 bunch kale, rinsed & coarsely chopped

To cook quinoa:
Place 1 cup quinoa, 1 cup water, and 1 cup veggie broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce to simmer, cover and cook until all water is absorbed (10-15 minutes).  When done, the grain appears soft and translucent, and the germ ring will be visible along the outside edge of the grain.  Remove from heat, and let the quinoa sit covered for 10 minutes.  Fluff gently with a fork.

To cook beans:
Saute the onions, peppers, garlic and bay leaf on medium heat in a saucepan with a splash of veggie broth or water, for 5 minutes until onions & peppers are translucent.  Add the thyme, vinegar, beans, and 1 cup of water, and cook on low heat for 5-10 minutes, or until broth thickens.  The bean mixture should get thick and stew-like.  Yum!

To cook kale:
Place coarsely chopped kale with 1/2 c. of veggie broth (or water) in a large covered pot on medium heat.  Cook the greens for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until wilted and tender.  

The recipe calls for serving on a plate with each ingredient nestled side by side, which I did for presentation.  But, then I stirred them all together to eat.  Delicious.  Perfect flavors. 

Happy green eats-
dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment