Friday, March 29, 2013

And The Running Drama Continues...

Here's a little random trivia about me:  I have always loved learning.  I loved school, college (minus the comprehensive math exam I had to pass my senior year, in order to earn my mathematics degree), and even the master's work I did at UNC-CH (go HEELS!) in Accounting.  If I could get paid to be a student for the rest of my life, that would be my dream job!  Second choice, some artistic job where I get paid to paint and be creative.

I have loved being under the instruction of some wonderful trainers/instructors in the past few years, because I have learned so much about my body, how it works, and how to care for it.  I have loved reading books  on food and nutrition, because I have learned how the body reacts to what we fuel it with.  And, I have enjoyed watching my love affair with running evolve, because it has been full of twists and turns that continually are teaching me new things, as maddening as that can be at times.


So...the running drama continues.  I started having soreness in an area where my calf meets my shin about two weeks prior to half marathon.  I knew it was going to get worse before it got better, unless I eased up on the pavement pounding.  I tried to "rest" as much as possible in those last two weeks, especially since I had done all of my long runs and was essentially prepared for race day.  I began foam rolling and stretching my calf muscles really well.  It was not perfect on race day, but was improved enough I felt I could run 13.1 miles on it.  Around mile 7 that leg hit the pavement and felt like it was going to buckle and collapse out from under me.  It was weird.  I kept running, of course, and didn't have that sensation again for the remainder of the race. 

It has progressively gotten worse since race day despite foam rolling, massaging, muscle cream, Advil, and ice.  I ran 2 miles several days after the race and it was tough on my legs.  I have learned what is good pain and bad pain, and I knew it needed rest.  So, I've been resting it.  It's been driving me bonkers.  I feel like a slug!  I have been doing weights, but there is nothing like the thrill of a good run and the lack of cardio is killing me. 

I drove by the Tobacco Trail earlier this week, while running errands with my kids, and I gazed down the trail longingly, like I missed my best friend!  It seriously was calling to me!  I never imagined, based on my attitude about running & all things active in my early years, that my body would be craving a long run.  If only my P.E. teachers could see me now... 

I saw the sports med doctor yesterday.  After examination and xray, he said that if I had been running the last two weeks, I would have a tibial (shin bone) stress fracture.  The good news is, I don't have a stress fracture.  The bad news is, I have a stress reaction, which precedes a stress fracture.  It is one of the most common injuries in distance runners.  

My instructions:
  • No running.  Until it is completely healed.  Totally knew that was coming.  But still...sigh.
  • Ice, ice, ice.  As much as possible, in 15 minute increments.  At least 3 times a day.
  • Vitamin D supplement (helps the body absorb calcium)
  • Calcium supplement (builds & repairs bones)
  • Calf stretches
If it gets worse, where it bothers me with daily life, or it isn't improving at my two week follow-up appointment, he will put me in an aircast to absorb the impact of walking.  While I am recovering, I can swim (hmm, guess I need to learn more than the doggie paddle), recumbent bike, lift weights and anything else that is no impact.  Ahhhhh. 

It is driving me crazy not knowing exactly how it happened.  Is it the running on concrete?  Was it just bound to happen?  Is it because I always did long runs on the Tobacco Trail (softer than concrete/asphalt), so 13.1 on the road on race day really sent it over the edge?  Is it because of my form or because I didn't stretch my calf good enough?  Is any component of it because I have a small build, especially thin lower legs, so my bones are tinier than someone of a thicker build?  I am learning with distance running, there are so many variables, and sometimes (often) it is hard to pinpoint that ONE why.  That is hard for us control freaks, who like to know why so we can fix it!  (smile)

So, what have I learned?
  • Know the difference between good pain & bad pain.
  • On that note, listen to your body.  Learn when you can push through discomfort and learn when to stop. 
  • Be prepared for possible bumps in the road.  Between LeAnne and I, we have had a combination of 4 injuries/issues related to running, since we began training in January.  I like to think that we are pretty educated about our bodies, how to take good care of them, and train smart.  But, sheesh.
  • Consider buying race insurance if it is available!  I think I paid $5 extra to my half marathon fee for race insurance, which provides you a full refund in the case of (doctor confirmed) injury that prevents you from racing. 
  • I have heard a few trainers in recent years, say that long distance running is hard on the body and should be done in moderation.  I am seeing that.  Lord willing, I will do another half, because truly I loved it.  I just won't be doing it anytime real soon. 
  • I will not register for back to back long distance events.  LeAnne & I are signed up for the Tar Heel 10 Miler in 3 weeks.  We registered before we even were halfway through training for the Half.  Because a) we're Heel alumni, and b) prettiest campus in the world.  At this point, we joke we might be walking 10 miles.  I might need to be carried 10 miles!  Obviously, sometimes we take risks because it is the thrill of the chase.  And life is too short to be boring.  But mostly, we train smart and would try never to do anything that could permanently end our running careers, because truly that would be worse than taking a hiatus.  Now I will go laugh because I just referred to us as having "running careers", like we are elite athletes or something.  Go ahead and laugh, too.  You know it's funny.
Here's to healing, smart training, and beautiful Easter blessings!
dawn
 

1 comment:

  1. Let us know when you're up and running again. And, there's no shame in walking your 10-miler due to injury!

    ReplyDelete