Sunday, April 29, 2012

My Journey to Slowness...


Since I can remember, I have always been a girl on the go.  My parents used to joke (they still do) that I am happiest when I am out and about in the world enjoying life with others!  At age 7, I was off visiting family friends for an entire week and cried when I had to come home.   Needless to say, this carried over into my adulthood -  already this year I’ve been out of town 7 times! 

When I really started eating more conscientiously (plant based & close to nature) last year, this was by far the hardest part of my journey!  I am the queen of lunch dates, ladies night outs, and dates with my husband.  I loved good food, even healthy food, but taking the time to read labels, plan out my grocery list, and actually cook most of our meals was VERY overwhelming at first.  I had a love of Dinner Affair where you could make your meals for a month and put them in the freezer.  I would go to three different Harris Teeter grocery stores to rack up on triple coupon deals.  This new way of eating really pushed me out of my comfort zone.   It required me to trade in my freezer meals for fresh produce and put aside the mentality that a deal was worth more than my health.

When I started reading more about the food we eat and our food industry it really made a difference in our home.  My husband would listen as I would re-cap articles and books I had read.  We watched “Forks Over Knives” together and started having really interesting conversations regarding food.  Soon he started sending ME articles to read as he came across subjects related to the food we consume.  The more convinced we became that eating this way was going to be our new “normal,” I realized it was going to require me to accept a few things.

First, I was going to have to cook, A LOT.  Believe me, I searched the grocery stores over for meals that would be quick and easy to prepare and meet all my new standards of healthy, but there just aren’t many quick fixes out there.  Instead I was going to have to buy produce and make my own dishes.  At first I did not like this!  It required WAY more time than I was used to and frankly I didn’t love cooking.  After taking care of two young children each day and preparing and cleaning up 3 meals for them, I didn’t want to be very creative in the kitchen.  My attitude was not great at first, but as I started to read more and really understand the benefits of eating this way, it became easier and easier to chop vegetables and eat at home.  I can honestly say I now enjoy cooking for my family.  I actually now get really frustrated when life is so busy I don’t get to be as creative as I want in the kitchen.

Second, I realized I was going to have to prepare and plan.  I used to make a rough draft of our dinners for the week, but we would usually end up eating out 1 or 2 of those nights or I’d prepare something really quick.  Now I was not only planning dinners but also making my breakfast & lunch and we were not eating out near as often.  I really had to take the time to look through recipes online, my cookbooks, and blogs that inspired me to keep up the journey.  I was also going to have to pack my car with snacks so I would have food when the girls and I got hungry. 

Third, I realized I was going to have to shop multiple times a week at the grocery store.  Produce tends to go bad quicker than processed food, especially when it’s organic and fresh.  At first to save money I would visit 2 -3 different stores a week.  Over time, Whole Foods won over my heart (and wallet) and I do most all of my shopping there.  I realized when I stopped eating out as much and stopped buying so many pre-packaged items, as well as dairy and meat, my grocery bill decreased significantly.  I was saving money by doing things like buying in bulk, eating produce in season, and packing our lunches. 

Fourth, I realized I was always going to have a messy kitchen!!! Oh I am SO type A and want my kitchen in order at all times!  I quickly realized the kitchen was going to be messy with little hands getting involved with the preparation of meals.  (They always eat better when they help make it.)  My dishwasher and sink were always full because we eat at home so much now.  I’ve come to realize this is the way it’s going to be and try to stop and appreciate the fact that I have a kitchen and clean water.  I think back to my grandmother’s who cooked most all their meals at home.  They never complained of a messy kitchen and really enjoyed spending the time cooking for their families.  Thinking about them always inspires me to slow down and really be thankful that I get to cook for my family.

Finally, I realized the importance of planting a garden.  My husband’s family lives nearby and they all have huge gardens.  There is no need for us to have a garden with family close by and the farmers market and Whole Foods nearby as well. However, I want our girls to see seeds turn into plants and those plants bear fruit and vegetables.  It is such a basic and yet monumental part of life.  Already this spring many of the seeds we planted are peeking through the ground.  I want Eliza & Lydia to have a connection between the land and the food they eat.  Also having a garden has taught me to slow down.  Instead of rushing to the grocery store to get the items I need for the dish I am preparing, a garden makes me realize the time it really takes to grow the food we eat.  I am a fan of the modern day conveniences but do believe God placed the garden in my life last year to teach me that like a garden, life takes time, attention, and patience.  I am now much more appreciative of the farmers who grow our food and want the girls to realize food does not just come from a grocery store. 

I still love meeting friends for lunch, going on dates with my sweet husband, and celebrating special occasions with food.  I also love finding foods that are prepared for me and meet my standards of health.  However, I now am a much more conscientious consumer of food. 

Wherever you are on your journey with food, remember, “It’s a journey.”  Each day we are given the chance to partake in God’s abundant goodness.  I often think back to the Garden of Eden and try to eat as close to that first garden as possible.  Each person’s journey is unique, but important and worth each step.  Embrace the journey you are on as you continue to fuel your body with goodness.

-leanne

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I relate so much to every word you wrote. I struggle most with convenience and find it very dogfights to cook after working all day. Thanks for the recipes, too.

    ReplyDelete