Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dawn's Story

So, how did I get here?  If I had a dollar for every time I've been asked that question...  Sometimes I laugh, because it's so wild I couldn't have dreamt it up.  I was done having children, my once speedy metabolism had shrunk to a crawl, and I was unhappy with my body that once upon a time did not take effort to stay thin.  In 2010 the "journey" began (though I had no idea) with me wanting to lose a few pounds.  I started exercising and dieting.  Lost a little weight, but then stalled.  Somewhere along the way, this girl who hated P.E. in high school, fell in love with a good workout, lost her taste for meat, and dove headfirst into the plant world for food! 

The first encounter I had with the "Real Food" movement was this post at Musings of a Housewife.  I rolled my eyes.  But I kept reading.  Little did I know, the seed had been planted.  Almost six months later, after much reading, I concluded that perhaps there was some truth to the notion that our bodies were meant for more.  So I threw out everything in our house containing HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup).  Then, more reading.  I was hungry.  Hungry for knowledge and truth.  Several months later I threw out everything that contained enriched flour and replaced with whole wheat.  I kept reading.  I watched Food Inc. and read Food Rules, by Michael Pollan.  My eyes were opened wide.  I started reading food labels. 

My diet was getting cleaner, but my body was not changing the way I wanted it to, and I still had a strong addiction to food, specifically sugary processed foods, though I didn't realize it was an addiction at the time.  I lived in defeat with my food choices.  I knew what I shouldn't eat, but I couldn't stop.  It was a vicious cycle of frustration.  I stumbled on the book Made to Crave, by Lysa TerKeurst, and the connection was made between food and my God.  This was a huge Ah-ha! moment in my story. 

In October 2011, I went completely clean and unprocessed, as part of a 30 day challenge.  I was determined to throw my hat in the ring and go all in at 100%.  Initially, it was because I wanted to see if my body would change.  And to see what kind of willpower I had.  I dove in headfirst for all 30 days.  No processed foods, no refined sugar, just lots of whole foods the way God created them. 30 days later, my body was drastically changing, I was free from the addiction to unhealthy foods, and I felt ALIVE!  My once sluggish, tired body felt awakened with energy.  (Note:  this doesn't mean I jump out of bed perky at 5am.  And one of my guilty pleasures is still a good afternoon nap!)  And my mood in general, did a 180.  I think my husband was most appreciative of this! 

It was during this challenge that I watched Forks Over Knives.  My world was rocked as I began to understand the powers of plant foods and the risks of a diet high in animal protein and processed foods.  I completed the challenge feeling the best I have ever felt in my entire adult life.  I knew I could never go back!  I began to understand that food was meant for fuel, and how we fueled our bodies affected how well they ran.  I began to see food as a beautiful gift from God and the deeper I dove into the plant world, the more a whole new world was opened for me.

So, where I am now?  I eat very clean (unprocessed), my husband has tagged along for the ride, and our kids are a work in progress.   While food choices are very important to me, it is not the "be all and end all", as Jo-Lynne of Musings of a Housewife said it.  I love how my friend Jenni said it on her blog, that "people are way more important than plants".  Do my kids have a sugary cupcake at a friend's birthday party?  Yeap.  If I'm having dinner at a friends's house and I'm served pizza, will I eat a slice?  Of course.  Do I judge you for your McDonald's cheeseburger?  Nope!  Would I have a piece of grilled chicken at my in-laws?  I'd probably try to stock up on fruits and veggies, but if not having chicken meant I would hurt someones feelings, I'd try to have a few bites.  This is not a legalistic game, this is a life full of precious relationships.   It has taken time to figure out the balancing act.  Just like it took me time to get here.  Everyone's journey is different.  LeAnne always says there are a lot of things in life that aren't black or white.  We each need to figure out the gray areas for ourselves.  While it is my burning passion to educate and share how getting healthy has changed my life, I pray I never intentionally hurt someone in doing that.

In life, there are moments that change us forever.  This is one of those.  Every day my heart overflows with thankfulness to my Creator, for this incredible gift I have been given.  I have absolutely no mental picture of where this road will lead me, but I feel I have been called to share my love for Jesus and my love for the food He created.

No comments:

Post a Comment