Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Raw Fudge

There is this misconception, that REAL food isn't delicious.  And, there is an even bigger misconception that as we embrace more whole foods, we must say goodbye to decadent desserts.  There is nothing further from the truth!  As my sister has gotten interested in how we are eating, one of her first comments to me was, "But my problem is, I love to bake!"  So....keep baking!  Scratch the processed box mixes and use good, healthy ingredients!  It is possible!  The best part of baking "clean" with whole foods, is that there just isn't that strong addicting power like there is with high sugar, processed desserts!  Freedom AND dessert!  The two can coexist!

Replace white flour with whole wheat flour, or whole wheat pastry flour, or oat flour, etc.  Instead of using oil, use applesauce!  Isn't that incredibly cool!  I could kick myself that it took me 36 years to figure out that simple substitution!  Instead of eggs, make "flax eggs".  A "flax egg" is made by mixing 1 T. of ground flax with 3 T. of water in a small bowl.  To replace 2 eggs, mix 2 T. ground flax with 6 T. of water, etc.  Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes before incorporating into your recipe.  This allows it to get goey like a real egg.  Cool stuff, huh!  Instead of white sugar, which in my opinion creates an insane addiction in the body, use honey, maple syrup, molasses, etc.  Sometimes you have to do a little research for substitution amounts, as it is not always a simple trade in. 

With all that said, here is a recipe for you, that has been making its rounds amongst POWER girls.  I hear it is to die for!  I currently have walnuts soaking in my kitchen, so I can try out this sweet treat for myself.

Raw Fudge
(from the Whole Foods website)

2 c. raw walnuts
2 c. packed, pitted and roughly chopped dates
10 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 T. pure vanilla extract
1/2 t. sea salt

Soak walnuts in cold water for 4 to 6 hours.  Drain and place in the bowl of a food processor.  Pulse until chopped.  Add dates and pulse to chop, stopping frequently to scrape down sides.  Add cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.  Process until mixture is almost smooth, scraping sides as needed to keep mixture moving; the mixture will form a ball similar to dough with tiny bits of walnuts remaining.  Transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish and press down evenly with wet fingers.  Freeze for 4 to 6 hours until well chilled.  Cut into squares.  Store in freezer until ready to serve.

4 comments:

  1. LeAnne told me about raw fudge today. Thanks for the recipe- can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made your raw fudge. Ok....seriously?! This could turn into an addiction. Thank you. My new Valentine chocolate treat:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Specifically what kind of flax do you use for the eggs? When I asked the lady at wholefoods today she gave me ground flaxseed meal. After mixing it I'm just not sure that was correct. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's correct Courtney. Ground flaxseed. Looks a little funny but does the trick!

    ReplyDelete