Friday, February 3, 2012

Mission: Mystery Reader


Every Friday afternoon in my 2nd grader's classroom, they have a Mystery Reader.  It is often a parent, relative, family friend, etc. whose identity is unknown until they walk in the door at 2:30.  I wracked my brain trying to decide what to read and coming up with a simple snack that would also coordinate with the book.  It finally dawned on me, no pun intended, that I would stick with something I was passionate about.  I discovered this fun little book, Gregory, the Terrible Eater, by Mitchell Shermat, about a goat who wants to eat healthy foods instead of the trash that goats are supposed to eat.  Although it was an intentionally silly, mixed up little story, I used it to point out that God designed our bodies (Christian school) for healthy foods. 

I asked the kids if any of them had ever heard that you were supposed to "eat the colors of the rainbow".  Only two had heard that.  As a snack, I brought fruit kabobs for them that had every color of the rainbow represented.  About half of the kids were really excited, while the other half seemed disappointed I didn't bring cookies.  While I enjoyed educating and sharing a nutritious snack with my daughter's class today, the best part, hands down, was seeing the joy and excitement on her face when she learned their Mystery Reader was her very own momma!  I know I will not always get that precious response, so I will treasure it while I can!

Make today matter-
Dawn  


No comments:

Post a Comment