Friday, February 17, 2012

Green Smoothies



Green smoothies rock!  They are a great way to incorporate greens into your diet.  My two youngest will thus far not eat greens cooked the traditional way (sauteed or steamed).  They also will not touch kale chips with a ten foot pole, although I'm convinced they would like them if they'd just put one in their mouth!  I'll keep trying!  So, smoothies are a great way for me to get nutrient dense greens (kale, spinach, etc.) in their bodies.  At first I did not tell them I was putting kale & spinach in their smoothies.  But now they know and they don't care.  Yesterday I even had some little helpers putting greens in the blender.  You can't even tell by taste that they're in there! 


We eat smoothies a lot at our house and yes, even during the winter.  I make a big batch, we all have some, and then I put leftovers in popsicle molds.  And yes, they eat popsicles in winter, too!  I've been known to let my kids have popsicles for breakfast!  There is really no wrong or right way to make a smoothie.  I've never had one that didn't taste good.  And I NEVER measure!  Most of mine use coconut water, unsweetened coconut milk, or unsweetened almond milk as a base liquid.  Add whatever frozen fruits you like.  I always add ground flaxseed.  I don't measure, but maybe 2 or 3 T?  And then add 1 cup of greens.  Taste and adjust to what you like.  If it needs to be thinner, add more nondairy milk or coconut water or just plain water.  If it needs to be thicker, add more frozen fruit.  Etc. 


I dream of owning a Vitamix, for many reasons, but especially because it pulverizes and leaves you with no bits, just a smooth creamy texture!  LeAnne loves hers!  But until that cash tree grows in the backyard, I make do with my Ninja blender.  Fortunately my kids do not mind the bits.  And they don't mind if it's not a pretty color smoothie.  They have learned that even if it's a yucky color, it still tastes good!  If you want a pretty color, stick with like colors in the blender.


This Vitamix chart is a great place to start.  Except in Column 3, I would eliminate yogurt and fruit juice, and instead add unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened coconut milk, coconut water, carrot juice, etc.


 Vitamix Green Smoothie List


Happy green eats (& drinks!)-
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment